We are currently holding our meetings at a temporary venue until Mid-November. If you'd like to attend one of our meetings as a guest please contact us and we will provide you with full details of our temporary venue.
EBF Ed Slot May 3rd 2012
Presented by David Plumley
Preparing for our weekly 60 seconds and our occasional 10 min opportunities
[Part of the mini-series on communications]
Whether we are preparing for our 1 minute slot or the longer 10 min slot there are some common features:
Knowledge, confidence and delivery are the basic elements of our presentations … and these require some thought. The following points will build our confidence … and need to be in place before we speak.
• Plan and prepare in advance what you want to say and what approach you want to take. Don’t just wing it … this will be obvious to everyone!
• We need to now our subject … we can’t speak confidently if the information is vague to us!
• We should avoid waffle … and think before we speak.
• Also avoid jargon … instead use easy language and simple words … even if the subject itself is complicated.
• Get to your main points quickly. Then it’s easier for the listener to remember what we said.
• It is good to know something about our audience and also to look them in their eyes … we’ll then easily discover if we are being understood.
• Maybe we can try recording our own presentation at home … to see if we modulate our voice … rather than speaking in a flat tone.
• Stick to the time schedule … and avoid trying to say too much in the allotted time.
And with that last point still ringing … I will now sit down.