Business Networking Blog, written by Jill Willis.
This week’s Essex Business Forum meeting was super busy, with 23 members in attendance.
Headlines to take away and savour include;
1. Alan Moller, Cable Plan Electrician was awarded an “Outstanding performance” certificate and small gift token for his continued dedication to new member recruitment – well done Alan!
3. Jo Eastwood of Liquorice scooped the 60 second award – for her wonderful display of wines that ‘make your bed rock’ – and a curious whiskey with a rather rude name…
4. We achieved £35k worth of new business
5. We passed 26 new referrals!
6. Visitor Keith Campbell from KJC Trade Consultancy Limited joined us, and showcased his expertise as an advisor to businesses thinking of importing, or exporting for the first time.
We hope to welcome him back next week!
7. Paul Booth celebrated tomorrow’s milestone. 10 years of Booth & Co Charted and Certified Accountants. Huge congratulations from us all.
We were reminded by Howard Bullock, of Clear Financial Advice, to recognise the difference between a referral and a lead.
“If I say my neighbour has a scruffy garden and needs a gardener, this is a lead. Whereas if I speak to my neighbour about their scruffy garden, say I know someone who can help, and they ask me to put them in contact, this is a referral”.
It is often tempting to pass leads to fellow Essex Business Forum colleagues, and of course they’ll also be received with thanks. But pre-qualified referrals is the reason we all visit each week! So let’s keep them coming.
The 60 second round had some interesting topics this week. With Nick Cooke of Nick Cooke & Associates Structural Engineers telling us a cautionary tale involving rats and roof timbers, Dean Caldon of Redstones Estate and Letting Agency keeping us up to date on the housing market post-Brexit, and Steve Roach of Phoenix FM talked about the huge benefits businesses can achieve by making the switch from print advertising in local newspapers, to radio.
Paul Booth, of Booth & Co Accountants gave an outstanding 10 minute presentation, helping us to navigate the minefield of capital gains tax. Leaving us in no doubt. We shouldn’t try to do it alone, and a certified and chartered accountant such as Paul is far better qualified to do this for us.
For more information on the services Paul provides, contact 01277 224666 or visit www.boothandco.co.uk
Next Week – Carmel, of Carmel Jane Photography will be capturing the meeting with her camera. So smiley faces please! Plus, the first Creative & Tech synergy meeting will take place following the meeting.
See you next week!
Jill (in for Aidan)